Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lessons Learned

Here we are at the end of CHD Awareness Week. It has been such a wonderful celebration of life, Heart Warriors, and Heart Angels! I am grateful to the fabulous blogging world and their support and love and stories. I have learned so much this week and in these last 5 months since finding out about Mylah's heart. Here are a few of my lessons learned;

♥ I have learned that having a child with a Congenital Heart Defect doesn't define them. That child can grow, develop, learn, create memories and thrive just as children without CHD's do. Their heart problems only cause some problems to their physical bodies, but their spirits are strong! Mylah reminds me daily that she is a fighter. Each morning I hear her sweet babbles and gurgles coming from her crib. I rise to get her and I am always greeted by the warmest, sweetest smile. It melts my heart and I never want to forget that though she has been through so much, she still smiles! She is such an example to me of endurance, and will never be defined by her defect.

♥ I have learned that every heart is different. Every heart defect is different. Every story is different. These children and babies are fighters and as each of them live through the life that our Heavenly Father has chosen for them, they defy the odds. They amaze each of us. Your child can have the same exact diagnosis as another, and yet their story can end differently than your child's. Every one of them is unique. Mylah has proven that. She has a strength beyond her few months of life, beyond that of any other 4 month old I have ever seen. Her strength has brought her to this point. She is healthy, living, breathing, learning, growing, developing, teaching, loving, and smiling. I am grateful for our differences in story, they teach us all.

♥ I have learned to have empathy. I like to think I possessed this quality before Mylah's birth, but now I have a stronger desire to comfort those that need comfort. To help those heart families who struggle. To let each of you Heart Mom's know that no matter how hard it seems to be getting, there is a purpose for the path you are taken on with your Heart Baby. There is a reason why your Heavenly Father sent them to you. Look for those reasons, learn, and know that I know how you feel. I have lived with the same heartache, fears, worries, and stresses. I am grateful to be able to feel this empathy and help others.

♥ I have learned to savor the moment. Every moment. The little moments. All to often we speed through life just trying to get through the day. Some of my days are like this, but since Mylah's birth, not very many are. When my kids act up, when I get frustrated, when I am just plain exhausted, I to think, " What if my child wasn't here?" "What if I wasn't able to share this moment with them?" Life would be horrible with out my three beautiful kids. I try to be kinder, speak softer, love more, laugh often, and spend as much time with my kids while they are young, as I can. Mylah helped me realize how precious life is. Savor EVERY moment.

Lastly, I have learned patience. Patience with myself, Neil, the kids, and life. Patience with my Heavenly Father. He knows what he is doing with my life. He knows the direction he wants it to go. He knows. I have to trust Him, be patient, and endure. It is all for MY good.

I am so grateful for the lessons I have learned these past few months. I am blessed to celebrate CHD Awareness Week. To have had a reason to show my support, and create advocacy and awareness! I am thankful for my sweet Heart Warrior Mylah, who is a fighter, and amazing baby girl. I am truly blessed.

Happy Heart Day everyone!

~Lara

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Your words say it all! I tried emailing you at the email you left on my blog, but it keeps coming back as undeliverable. Will you email me? My address is rebeccascott333 at yahoo dot com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

MRI

Today Mylah had an MRI to map out what we will do in the near future for her heart health. Currently her left ventricle is slightly ...